Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Monday, February 11, 2008

Scatter 2 days late ...

I didn't forget that it was Scatterday on Saturday - I didn't post this because I wasn't near a computer!
(I was here - http://www.4wdspectacular.org.au/ - I am a member of one of the clubs that run the thing, so I was out there helping (for some of the time) and having fun (for most of the time) all weekend, and I even slept out there - in my swag in the club's display tent! ... anyway - I can tell you more about that later - probably in my next post sometime in the next day or 5 - because I don't want to be 3 days late with my scatterday post! LOL)

btw, I am pretending I am not posting this a day or 3 late - I have not looked at what everyone else has posted yet, because that way I won't accidentally get any inspiration/ideas from them before I have posted this lot.

This week was: the letter I - Yellow, Australian, Something you would find in the air ...
... and I had already thought of (and taken photos of a lot of) stuff for most of it by about tea time on Sunday!

So ... what did I come up with?

I was hoping to find a yellow fly - then it would have done all 3 things - been an Insect that was yellow, Australian and often found buzzing around in the air ... but I didn't fine one so I had to make do with this lot:

If this was a contest and/or I had to just do 3 things - I would have chosen these first 3 ...

Yellow:
Indicator paper ...

The same stuff that has the Interesting Instructions on it - see this post.

Australian:
Indigo - an Indiginous plant ... on the Internet - LOL (in case you can't read the URL on the photo ... or you want to click on it rather than type it - it's here - http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp1/indigofera-australis.html - the "anbg" stands for Australian National Botanic Gardens - which are here in Canberra ;-)

Found in the Air:

Insects ... 2 different moths (or maybe at least one is a butterfly?) on the lawn ... one of them had yellow underneath, that showed up when it was flying - but it was kind of impossible to get a photo when it was flying in the air!

I also had a few more ideas:
Inflorescence (which is a fancy word for flowers ;-) with YELLOW middles.

I could also call it "Infusion" - because I think this is Chamomile - which is used to make tea (which is an infusion)

In the bin ... with a yellow lid ... but using something like that is kind of cheating a bit though - LOL

A "yellow" dog Investigating (well he is sort of yellow - he is a GOLDEN Retriever after all ;-)

I am not sure what he was sniffing/looking at ... possibly the yappy dog in the next yard, or a "present" the cat left buried in the garden ...

I kind of got a bit weird with this one ... the peg is yellow, the Hills Hoist (clothesline - Ingeniously Invented In Australia) is Aussie and the undies are In the air ... I know ... a bit silly ... lol

More Insects ... not yellow though ... but they are Australian
and I could get really technical and say that because they are not mature adults yet that means the stage of development they are at is one of the several "instars" they go through (an instar is the technical name for a stage of development in an insect that hatches from an egg in an Immature (another I word ;-) form and then goes through a number of moults before the final one where it comes out as an adult). These are a species of Praying Mantis (or is that Preying? ... I probably should look that up sometime - lol) ... and from their small size I would guess they have at least a couple more moults to go before they grow up.

They are related to stick insects - which is what I used to keep as pets for a while ... the stick insects ate gum leaves, but these things eat ... stick insects! (and whatever else they can catch) ... how do I know? well, apart from the fact that I learnt that in science lesons/on tv shows/etc - I have also seen one catch and eat a rather pretty moth that I WAS trying to take a photo of until it flew away ... and landed in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time! I also found an even smaller one of these 2 or 3 years ago, and at the time I happened to have a similar sized stick insect that was not looking too healthy (sometimes they would loose a few too many legs and not be able to crawl out of their skin properly the next time they moulted) so I put the 2 of them next to each other and watched nature do what nature does - "eat or be eaten" - LOL (yes - one ate and one was eaten ... no prizes for guessing which one was the "winner")

can't see them in the above photo?
- here they are:
now you can see how small they are ...

I took 2 more photos, that I can use for this scatterday, on Saturday:

a yellow sign, In the air ...

... with Information In the tent underneath (info about the Land Rover Club - which I am a member of - which is why I was out there - this club, and 2 others in the ACT run this show every 2 years!

It is also Australian too I guess - all these pictures are, because they were taken in Australia and are of stuff we have/do here - even the one I cheated with and took a photo of a web page - it is an Australian website!
BTW - see that white picket fence - on Friday night I parked the Land Rover next to it, moved the table, and rolled out my swag inside my own little "yard" - LOL (I slept outside the main tent because the snorers were sleeping Inside it!) ... on Saturday night I didn't have the LandRover there (DS took it home because he needed to borrow it to get somewhere) and there was a snorer inside (again) - and the snoring was coming from right near the white fence, so I rolled out my sway a bit further away (out of the photo to the left, still just under the awning so I would not get rained on, but far enough away from the snorer that I couldn't hear him - luckily he wasn't very loud or I might have had to go find a vacant awning on an exhibitor's stand nearby! lol)

I also took this photo late on Saturday evening:
the slide is yellow, and the top end if fairly high up in the air, but it doesn't start with I ... but Inebriated does - and the people at the bottom, who had just gone down it, most likely were! ... I was too ... only slightly though (it's a bit hard to get too drunk on 3 or 4 light beers), but I went down the slide a few times too - and I would have done the same thing totally sober. We were also probably doing something slightly Illegal (and some might say Idiotic?) - we kind of snuck on there after the owner had gone for the night - it was a few hours after the show had closed! btw - the funnly bright white bits are reflective strips on people's overalls (the SES people who were there doing security patrols/etc overnight) - the reflective strips were Illuminated by the lights.

anyway ... it has taken me ages to do all that, and it is now way after "bed time" ... so I had better go and get some sleep ... perchance to dream ... of some good ideas for this week's Scatterggory - "... things that start with the letter S. Not just anything - the categories are Fruit, Things that make you itch and Gold." I wonder if there is a gold, itchy, fruit that starts with an S ... there IS one that, for me at least, ends in an S - Mangoes ... although it is actually not the yellow/gold inside that does it - it is the green skin on the outside - or rather the sap in the skin ... I can eat mangos ... just can't touch them! (well - is ok on my fingers for a short time, but if i touch one then touch my face or something that area will come up in a puffy, itchy, red rash!) ... which was not a good thing to have happen the first time I peeled and ate mangos in the bath with the (then toddler age) kids and we played boats with the skins!)

ahrgh ... I am itching just thinking about it ... LOL

... actually I was itching before I thought of that - I think there is a mozzie in here! - which is all the more reason to hurry up and post this and head off to bed ...

goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. I like!
    A yellow bee would have worked to cover all three, based on the fact that it was an insect born and living in Australia. (I didn't think of it until too late to use.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it would ... I was going to say I didn't see any bees - but I did - there were about a dozen of them buzzing around the rubbish skip when I was collecting and emptying bins at the 4WD show! ... I even had to liberate one from inside a plastic bag - it had flown in through a small hole at the bottom and couldn't find it's way out. (I guess I was too busy to take a photo, and didn't have a camera on me anyway) ... the native bees buzzing around one of my bushes a couple of months ago would have been even better ... but again - no photo - I saw then when I was heading off somewhere in a hurry, and they were gone next time I looked ...
    I am glad at least one person likes my photos - lol

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)