Pages ... if I get around to it ...

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

From 7 eggs, came ...

... 7 bugs:




Something must have laid these 7 eggs on this (a fabric bag with some quilt batting in it) while it was sitting outside under the pergola ... I had moved it from somewhere else, and put it in in the sun, and I was about to pick it up and put it somewhere else when I noticed the bugs, standing in a little group beside the egg cases they must have just emerged from - I guess the warn sun must have been a cue to all hatch together - they kind of looked like a group of soldiers ... maybe a group of some sort of new minions from a game of Warcraft (a computer game which my daughter has been playing lately) waiting for someone to move the cursor over them to select them and tell them where to go and what to attack ... which makes it kind of funny that I have just been looking on some insect websites and found out that they are probably assassin bugs!
( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_bug if you are interested)
After I took a few photos, I put the bag over beside a bush ... and the bugs all crawled up into the branches and vanished ... probably never to be seen again (which is a pity in one way - I would have liked to see what they grew up into ;-)

While I am posting insect photos ...
... here is another visitor that came and had a rest under the pergola the other day:



I was busy sorting out junk when I noticed what I thought was a beautiful black and white butterfly fluttering around the garden beside me ... then it came under the pergola and landed on the beam above me ... and I realised it wasn't a butterfly it was a moth ... but it was still beautiful ...

(yes - there IS a difference between butterflies and moths - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_between_a_butterfly_and_a_moth )

Anyway ... talking about the sorting out of junk under the pergola ... that is what I should go back out and finish doing now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to have your say ... I will read it eventually ... and maybe even answer you, if you asked a question ;-)